"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
-Steve Prefontaine

Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Best Day

Today was... rough, to say the least.  It didn't start off that way.  Started my morning off with a run (treadmill, unfortunately, due to the 8 degree weather and icy sidewalks), and it was one of those days where my legs just didnt want to go.  Somehow I was able to motivate myself to keep going for five more minutes, five more minutes, until I had run the 6.5 miles I set out to run in the morning.  I can say, though, that this one didn't come easily; in fact, the number of times I thought about quitting were numerous.  I think starting after the first fifteen minutes, I was watching the clock count down in seemingly infinite minutes.

On top of that, I've developed the worst of all runners injuries.  A blister.  Damnit, and it hurts like hell.  Time for new shoes, I think.

So after the run, I went off to work, babying my left foot the whole way, only to find out that the lunch line cook had called off, with no replacement.  It's been over a month since I did my line training, but I stepped up and worked an entire lunch by myself on the line (thats five cooking stations at once), and did a commendable job I may add.  Needless to say, by 4pm my legs felt like jell-o, and I was ready to eat my own hand if I didnt get food soon.  My shift was scheduled 11-9, so I still had a ways to go.

Just got home from work, and I'm ready to pass out, but I can say that even though I feel exhausted, I wouldnt have it any other way.  My day was full, and I accomplished a few things I didnt think I could. 


I will leave with a list of my personal favorite songs to run to, if you've got these in your collection, check them out.


1. The Best Day- Atmosphere
2. Devil's Dance Floor- Flogging Molly
3. Freefallin'- Atmosphere
4. The Fairytale of New York (and seasonal!)- No Use For A Name
5. Walk Like A Zombie- Horrorpops
6. Map of the World- Monsters of Folk
7. Every Great Western- The A.K.A.s
8. Kick Drum Heart- The Avett Brothers
9. Highroyds- Kaiser Chiefs
10. Yankee in a Chip Shop- The Matches
11. Uprising- Muse
12. Help, I'm Alive- Metric


That will do, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment